Wednesday, August 20, 2008

T1

Out of the water, I run up the ramp and through the shower (helps wash off the salt). I stripped my wetsuit to my waist on the way. As I ran into the transition area, I was unsure what to expect. All the stories of other Ironman races included lots of volunteers, wet suit strippers (or peelers), other helpers. There was none of that here.

I managed to find my bag off the rack and ran into the changing tent. The tent was a mad house with hundreds of people everywhere trying to change. I plopped down in an empty chair and struggled to get my wet suit off my legs in my swim daze. I dumped my transition bag out and started grabbing my bike stuff. I tried to be deliberate -- forgetting something before a 112 mile bike ride was not worth saving a few seconds. I applied chamois cream (very important) and body glide to many body parts. Then grabbed my bike shoes, helmet and sun glasses. Shoving all my swim stuff back in the bag, I went to find my bike. At this point, I realized there was no volunteer applying sunscreen, but there was random bottles of sunscreen. I grabbed a bottle and lathered some on.

I headed out of the tent into the sunlight. A volunteer took my bike bag and clopped (in my bike shoes) to my bike. I paused for a quick kiss from Heather and then headed out on the bike.
T1 time was a leisurely: 10:02

2 comments:

Amy said...

Whee! At this rate, you'll have your entire race report written.. by the time you've done your second Ironman!

Amy said...

Is it safe to assume that you DNFed because you tripped right outside of T1 and never made it onto the bike?

Okay, I give up. I'll stop checking to see if you ever finish your race report. :)